This October (through to the 3rd of November) I will be getting some odd looks for a good cause!
Here's the story:
Breast Cancer awareness is something that I've always felt strongly about. A while before I was even born, my Nan passed away one October after a battle with Breast Cancer. I never got to meet her, which makes me want to keep her memory alive even more.
October is also coincidentally Breast Cancer awareness month, and so I thought it would be a shame not to do something to remember her by during the month, now that I am a bit older and am able to organise myself a lot more!
I contacted Breast Cancer Care, a charity devoted to not only helping the direct sufferers of Breast Cancer, but also the family and friends of the diagnosed person. I had a great response and so from there I contacted the great people at Quest Sportswear to create an idea that would really stand out, which leads me to present this;
From October 1st until November 3rd I will be racing in this Pink version of my team kit to try and raise some awareness for the cause. What am I doing for the charity you may ask? I will be donating every last penny of prize money I earn during the aforementioned period to Breast Cancer Care.
I have a target of £500, so I must ask that anybody who has a pound or two spare that is merely sitting in their wallet or purse, donates it to my Just Giving page. Remember you are not just giving money to Charity, you are directly funding the care and after care of Breast Cancer patients and those they unfortunately leave behind.
The lifetime risk of developing breast cancer is 1 in 8 in women
This means that 1 in 8 women in the UK will develop breast cancer in their lifetime– it also means that 7 out of 8 women won’t develop breast cancer.
Here is my race schedule where you can catch me in my pink skinsuit (and donation pots!):
-5th October- Eastern England League Round 5, Welwyn, Hertfordshire
-13th
October- National Series Round 1, Abergavenny, Wales
-20th October- Eastern
England League Round 7, Thurrock, Essex
-27th October- Superprestige Round 1,
Ruddervoorde, Belgium
-3rd November- National Series Round 2, Southampton
Please please PLEASE help me spread the word of my plan via Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, Myspace, Pigeon or Post! Every retweet/share etc. goes a long way.
Follow my progress here:
Please visit: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/
With very special thanks to Quest Sportswear.

No comments:
Post a Comment