So, not even a week after Xmas and i was off to Belgium to race again (Thurs 30th Dec)-This time in the Sylvester Cyclocross in Bredene, where i did a race earlier in the season. The course suited me to the ground, it was fast and flowing, with switchbacks and a nice long sand section that would test your handling skills. This wasn't just your average Vlaamse Cup race, this was not affiliated to any leagues but it is a very prestigious race with top class riders like Sven Nys, Niels Albert and world champion Zdenek Stybar, not to mention the tens of other semi pro riders.
On Wednesday, i went for an easy ride to loosen my legs which turned out to be quite fun sliding around the mud and crashing down the slopes...
We arrived on Thursday morning in the car park around an hour before my race after getting the ferry to Calais. I set off and did a couple of laps with my bike cam which i will upload later. I loved the course and felt confident i could do well. I started warming up with about 20 Min's to go, riding up and down the road, stretching and keeping warm.
At the start whilst getting gridded, me and Hannah Payton (Stourbridge) got a big mention over the loudspeaker with the commentator saying something along the lines of: "Here we have two British riding in the nieuwelingen- Sean Dunlea and Hannah Payton, this event attracts many forgein riders". Anyway, i was gridded 3rd from last as i have in every other Belgian race so i knew the procedure.
As the signal went to start (They don't use guns or whistles) i basically took my time to find a clear passage, and sods law, the only clear passage that i could make my way up, a rider snapped his chain and almost took me and a few others out. I went into the first corner in about 25th place, and i knew i had to make up places if it was going to be a worth while trip so out of every corner i accelerated and every bend i kept pedalling. I made my way up to 11th, picking riders off as the race went on, and always getting a big cheer from the locals down the Start/Finish straight motivated me to do better.
With a couple of laps to go and 10th place nowhere in sight, i focused on staying in 11th as i was starting to fade. I could see 12th & 13th catching me so i just needed to stay ahead. On the last lap, i started to panic and crashed which cost me time. These Belgians do not let up at all which makes them so good, they'll be fighting not to be last. As the last 3 corners before the finishing straight came up, so did the stretch of sand. I entered it...
"That's it Sean, stay on that line. No, come on keep on it. Crap! lost it, dismount..."
I lost control on the final sand section which i had ridden for the two laps previous and went to dismount. As i dismounted i stacked it into the barriers and gave myself a pretty dead arm. With 12th and 13th place riding past me i had to chase. 11th place was long gone by now and just before the final corner i caught 12th and the sprint was on. I managed to get 12th in the sprint which i am proud of as i was riding against people who are a year or so older than me.
Round the final corner...
I went to check the results to make sure i was 12th, which i was and collected my 7 Euro prize money. I'd normally get 7 pounds for second in an eastern league which shows you hows serious and well supported it is out there.
We wandered around to course for the seniors race which was won by Czech World champion Zdenek Stybar in a sprint against Nys. I went and waited by Stybar's motor home after to try and get a picture with him as i couldn't at Koksijde. we were talking to his mechanic who was a very nice man indeed. As we saw Styby return, i quickly asked for a photo with him and got exactly that! Out of all pro riders- Road or Cross, Styby has to be the nicest one out of the lot! He was standing outside in his kit for about half an hour getting photos with his fans before returning inside to get showered.
Thanks for reading, have a happy and healthy new year!
No comments:
Post a Comment