Margam Park, Wales. National MTB.
The weather upon arrival in Wales was dismal, rain and not particularly warm. I the amount of rain on Saturday ensured a wet course the next day which was not what i was hoping for but that's racing! Anyway, i set off for a lap with Billy Whenman where i found the conditions challenging. After getting 6th here last year as a juvenile i wanted to do a good ride, however my confidence was low with the first long climb starting about 150m from the start.
On the day of the race it was really warm, and i warmed up well. I was gridded on the third row and had a good line to get up there from the gun. When the gun went i got a really good start and moved into the top 15 or so, until the climb started where i was hanging off the back of 25th place or so. I was really suffering on the climbs but managed to make up some places by the end to finish a disappointing 24th.
That it for me with national races, except the UK school games in September. Now my focus is going completely to the Cyclocross season!
I have been doing Beastway mountain bike races which are useful as i can judge my fitness, finishing steady seconds to a rider who is a year older than me. I also did a road race last saturday just for fun, where i suffered after being in swanage for a week, and being on tiny gears! Here are a few photos...






Good effort Sean - better luck next time!
ReplyDeletesportessex.